Learn To Lead: An 8-day intensive on Transformative Living Through Lead Rock Climbing
Learn to Lead is designed for young self-identifying men (ages 18-29) who are wanting to gain skills, awareness, and connections through rock climbing that will equip them to face and transform the personal, social, and planetary challenges defining their lives at this time.
This innovative 8-day program takes place on Quadra Island is intended for young adults who are experiencing mental health challenges, feeling stuck and beat down by societal expectations, and are generally not living up to their desired potential for themselves. Through being outdoors in a supportive group setting, developing daily contemplative practices (meditation, yoga, journaling, solo time in nature), and lead rock climbing instruction, participants will be able to draw on the rich metaphors of climbing, learning how to lean into and overcome fears, gaining insights on their patterns, and ultimately developing the skills to lead themselves towards positive and life serving relationships with themselves, their peers, and their community.
May 6th- 13, 2018
Facilitated by Adventure and Nature Therapist David Segal from Human-Nature Counselling, ACMG Mountain Guide Ken Wylie from Mountains for Growth, and Fundraising and Logistics Coordinator Marko Curuvija, this program is committed to building success in the lives of the participants and will be offering support both before and after the 8-day adventure has been completed.
Quadra Island, British Columbia
Specific Program Outcomes:
At the end of the program participants will:
- Be confident in making safe, personal choices about top rope and lead climbing outdoors without the support of a guide.
- Have an awareness of their climbing ability and know how to select appropriate challenges.
- Build an awareness of the transformative nature of the deeper elements of climbing.
- Understand the inevitability and opportunity of life challenges and how they can be approached, surpassed and transformed.
- Be able to articulate a clear and positive vision for their future based on deep aspirational values and passions.
- Build a practice of positive self-relation.
- Embody an awareness of their unique gifts and areas for personal growth.
- Understand their deep-seated capacity to be an agent of positive change both individually and collectively.
- Have an enhanced awareness of their embeddedness in the more than human natural world.
$2100 Possible partial funding from bursaries may be available.
Please contact Dave Segal at email@example.com and Ken Wylie at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.